St John's Rd0131 334 2704 East Craigs0131 339 2992
Complaints Policy

Complaints Policy

Information for Patients about Feedback, Concerns, Comments and our Complaints Policy

Our aim is to give the best possible care and treatment to our patients.
We welcome feedback and comments about our services and aim to deal with any concerns or complaints promptly, courteously and efficiently.
We take steps to make patients aware of how they can give feedback or make a complaint and where they can obtain support for making a complaint.

We consider all feedback, comments, concerns and complaints as a positive way of looking at what we do and making changes to improve our service to patients.
If we cannot resolve matters in the way you want, we will explain why it is not possible to do as you suggest. All views, even those that are anonymous, will be taken seriously and our procedures are in line with the NHS Scotland Complaints Procedure.


The practice Feedback and Complaints Officer is:

Margaret Dow, tel: 0131 334 0891 Email:

Margaret is responsible for the management and handling of feedback, comments, concerns and complaints and for seeing complaints through to resolution.
Feedback, Comments and Concerns

We want you to let us know if something is important to you, such as:

You can tell us by:

We will use the information you give us to improve the services we provide.

Complaints about NHS treatment

You can make a complaint about:

It is not possible to list everything you can complain about. If you want to complain about something not listed above, we encourage you to do so.

You cannot use this complaints procedure:

NB: We will we always offer to resolve your complaint through this complaints procedure before legal action commences

It is not possible to list everything you cannot complain about. If other procedures can help you resolve your concerns, we will give information and advice to help you.

Time limits: Normally, you must make your complaint within 6 months of:

How to make a complaint:

When making your complaint, please give:

*You can make an anonymous complaint but this is likely to limit the ability of the practice to resolve it.


What we will do:
We have a two-stage complaints handling procedure. We will always consider if a complaint can be dealt with at Stage 1 first. If we think the complaint is too complex or serious and clearly needs to be investigated we will go straight to Stage 2. You also have the right to ask for an investigation (without going through Stage 1).

Stage 1: Early Stage

Stage 2 – Investigation

Complaining on someone’s behalf- You can complain for someone else if you:

We follow the same complaints procedure for complaints about private treatment. However, if you require help to make your complaint, or if you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, the Dental Complaints Service (a department of the General Dental Council) offers a complaints resolution service for private dental patients and dentists (see Contacts below).

If you change your mind after making a complaint

You can change your mind about making a complaint at any time. Please let us know as soon as possible. It would be helpful if you could write or e-mail and tell us, but otherwise a phone call will do.

Help with your complaint
Patient Advice and Support Service

If you would like to speak to someone for independent advice about your rights and responsibilities when using NHS services, including help to make a complaint, please contact your local Patient Advice and Support Service which is available through your local Citizens Advice Scotland bureau (CAS). To find your local CAS office, go to and enter your postcode.


If you want someone to help you express your views, you can ask for an advocate. An advocate is independent of the NHS and can help make sure your views are heard and get access to the information you need to make your own decisions. The Feedback and Complaints Officer at Lothian Health Board can tell you more about advocacy services available.

Mediation (also known as Alternative Dispute Resolution):

Information about mediation

If you are not happy with our response to your complaint
If you are still not happy with our response, or if you are not happy with the way we are dealing with your complaint, e.g. if you think we are taking too long, you can ask the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) to consider your complaint further.

The SPSO is the final stage for complaints about public services in Scotland. This includes complaints about the NHS in Scotland. If you remain dissatisfied with an NHS Board or service provider (e.g. a dental practice) after its complaints process has concluded, you can ask the SPSO to look at your complaint.

The SPSO cannot normally look at:


Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO)

4 Melville Street
Freepost EH641

Tel.: 0800 377 7330

Open from 9.00am – 5.00pm (Mon – Fri), from 10.00am – 5.00pm (Tues)

Feedback and Complaints Manager: Patient Experience Team NHS Lothian
Waverley Gate
2-4 Waterloo Place
tel: 0131 536 3370

NHS Inform
Helpline 0800 22 44 88 (textphone 18001 0800 22 44 88);

Patient Advice and Support Service – available via Citizens Advice Scotland.


Dental Complaints Service
Stephenson House
2 Cherry Orchard Road

Tel.: 08456 120 540 at local rate (Mon-Fri, 9.00am – 5.00pm)

Patient Testimonials

From the moment you step in the door you are welcomed by warm and friendly staff. The practice feels really modern and clean. The dental care I received was first class and I was delighted with the superb service!